I really fancied a burger the other night and my family were having a bbq so I just threw together some online casino things I had in my cupboard and fridge and the end result were these. Tasty, healthy and satisfying as I really felt part of my family joining in with a burger and chips!
- 1/2 raw beetroot peeled washed and julienne or grated
- 1/2 raw carrot peeled and washed and julienne or grated
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 cup lentils cooked as per instructions
- 1 tin of mixed beans in water drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (depending on taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (depending on taste)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a frying pan then add the onion and garlic stir until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add all of the spices and a good shake of salt and pepper keep stirring for a few minutes.
- Next add the carrots and beetroot and continue stirring for another 5 minutes. Then add the beans and lentils and keep stiring untill everything is hot.
- Transfer the mixture into a food processor and whizz untill smoother but still with some lumps.
- Make the mixture into pattie shapes and refrigerate for 10 minutes whilst you tidy up and prepare your salad or start cooking the sweet potato fries.
- Heat the rest of the coconut oil in a frying pan on high and brown the burgers on both sides. I served mine with sweet potatoe chips and salad
- This recipe makes about 6-8 burgers depending on size so I freeze the others ready for when I feel like a burger day again.